Popularized by DR King, yogic prayer is a way to ‘transmit energy from point A the prayer [i.e. the person praying], to point B – the person who needs that prayer’. The prayer points are known as chakras, an Indian term referring to the seven centres of spiritual energy in the human body.
The seven chakras are the following: Root Chakra represents our foundation and is located at the base of the spine, Sacral Chakra is our ability to accept new people and experiences and is located in the lower abdomen, Solar Plexus Chakra enables us to be confident and in-control of our lives and is located in the stomach, Heart Chakra strengthens our capacity to love and is situated in the centre of the chest, just above the heart, our Throat Chakra is our ability to communicate and is inside the throat, the Third Eye Chakra is our capacity to focus on the bigger picture and is located on the forehead between the eyes and finally the Crown Chakra is our highest Chakra located at the top of our head and represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually.
Below is an illustration of the seven Chakra’s that should be followed when attempting yogic prayer. Remember always think positive thoughts when you access the prayer points, otherwise the yogic prayer cannot work.
Unlike Yogic Prayer, meditation does not reject society entirely but is a medium in which you can help the world. The purpose of meditation is to realize the true nature and potential of the mind, a process known as enlightenment. Meditation and enlightenment allow us to reconnect with our internal self and discover our purpose on earth. By speaking to the inner ‘you’ reality is discovered which will enhance your understanding of the world and how it may be improved.
Preparing for Meditation:
- Wear comfortable clothes, preferably lightweight items that can allow the positive spiritual energy to pass through.
- Invite positive spirits i.e. religious deities or even charitable ancestors who dedicated their lives to helping others
- Place your mat, rug, cushion or pillow on the floor and sit up straight which allows the positive energy to move freely.
- Assume a comfortable spiritual position (I recommend the lotus position) that will send you into a deep meditative state.
- Remain calm and exhale and inhale as you channel positive thoughts
Meditation as a spiritual healing process will not only unlock your positive energy but it will also reduce stress, improve health, enhance personal insight and improve performance.