Honey is sweet. Honey is tasty. Honey is healthy. Do you need more reasons to eat honey… honey? We all know that honey is a sweet food made by bees using nectar from flowers or trees like pine.
As if you needed more reason to indulge, here’s 10:
1. Did you know that if you’re looking for a quick energy boost, honey is the best choice because contains glucose and fructose? Especially if you are an athlete increases your athletic performance. That’s why ancient Greek Olympic athletes would eat honey.
2. If you are on diet, honey is a great substitute for sugar but it also helps the body regulate blood sugar levels, so diabetic patients must be careful. Is also rich in probiotic which aid in digestion. It contains in small amount many vitamins and minerals like calcium, iron, copper, magnesium, zinc, phosphorus and potassium.
3. Honey contains flavonoids, antioxidants (darker in colour honeys are considered to have more antioxidants) which help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart diseases.
4. Honey helps with coughs. A spoon with honey and olive oil should do the trick.
5. Also its antiseptic properties helps keep external wounds clean and free from infection because of its antibacterial, antifungal, and antioxidants activities that make it ideal for treating wounds.
6. Honey can activate your immune system and reduces allergy symptoms. One of the health benefits of eating this sweet, sticky delicacy includes the treatment of respiratory infections such as asthma.
7. Researches has also shown the positive effect of honey on hypertension or high blood pressure.
8. When you get a hangover from drinking too much alcohol, eat honey. As already mentioned it contains fructose which is known to speed up the oxidation of alcohol by the liver.
9. There are many health benefits of honey on skin and hair. Spread one teaspoon honey on clean, dry skin and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Your skin will be better than ever. Honey diluted with a bit of warm water was shown to significantly improve seborrheic dermatitis, which is a scalp condition that causes dandruff and itching. Or use Catherine Zeta-Jones secret. She rubs honey and salt on her skin to exfoliate. She says that this age old beauty trick helps her combat wrinkles.
10.Honey is harmless for adults. But new moms must have in mind that honey should not be given to infants under 12 months of age due to the risk that it may contain spores of the botulism bacteria (are found in soil and dust and could find their way into honey). That can lead to infant botulism because their immune system is not yet developed.
Honey does not rot and can be preserved for long periods.
Image Source: Cupegraf